Sometimes you just have to let yourself grieve. For me, that usually means listening to the right songs to aid in that process. These songs aren’t all about loss per se, but they all evoke certain feelings in me that help when I’m feeling down.
Here’s a list (with links to YouTube) of some that have helped me:
J and I will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary on February 9th!! Wow!! It’s weird…in one way, it feels like it cannot be that long. But also it seems like we’ve been together for way more than 10 years. J asked me out on January 31st, 2007, and our first date was February 9th, 2007. We actually kept planning it for the days between when he asked and when we finally went out, but there were snowstorms every day, and J is from Arizona. It was only his 2nd Winter up north 🙂
Even though the big day isn’t until February, I know it’s going to come up fast. So we’ve already started brainstorming some ways to celebrate. If you’re reading this and have any ideas, let me know in the comments!
- Weekend getaway – Our anniversary is on a Thursday, so we could do a long weekend somewhere special. Maybe the Adirondacks (unless they’re snowed in..). Maybe somewhere new! It would have to be near home. For one, we LOVE Winter. Also, it’s easy and convenient. Finger Lakes? Catskills? Or maybe the Hudson Valley.
- Stay-cation – We could book a room for a night or two at a local hotel in Buffalo and act like tourists. There’s a lot to do downtown and we could get dinner and drinks and have fun.
- Stay at home – We could also spend very little money (we are after all planning a wedding) and just get dinner/drinks and then come back to our house for movie night or something.
I’m leaning more towards the stay-cation, because it’s something different than our day-to-day, but it wouldn’t be as much money as going out of town for the weekend.
I love planning trips and fun adventures though, so we’ll see. I might have to do another post on more specific ideas once I do more brainstorming!
I can’t help it, I’m a hopeless romantic!
One thing I can’t get enough of are love songs, especially the ones that make me emotional. You know what I mean – the lump in your throat, the teary eyes, the heavy sighs.
Here is a list of 5 of my favorites. Stay tuned for future posts with more songs!
(Each links to a video on YouTube)
- Love Story – Taylor Swift. I can’t leave this one off. It makes me feel all warm and happy inside. It’s how Romeo and Juliet should have ended.
- A Part of Me – Alex Band. This one gives me chills every time I listen to it. And that voice! My prefer the non duet version, but I couldn’t find that one on Youtube.
- Feels Like Home – Chantal Kreviazuk. This one was played a lot when I was growing up (living near Canada means you get all the great CA stations that focus on playing CA artists). I heard it again recently after YEARS of forgetting about it, and it was more amazing that I’d remembered.
What are your favorite love songs?